A Place to Call Home
When I first came to Bridge of Hope, I was so excited that my boys and I were finally going to be on our way to finding a home. We were living with family, and I was sharing a room with my 12-year-old son. My 15-year-old son was sleeping on a rollout loveseat with a very thin mattress in a room designated as the office. It was time to get out on our own.
We are very blessed that the Lord chose such wonderful and supportive mentors for us. One of my mentors shared a job opportunity she knew about. I applied and got the job. I was able to work my other two jobs and my new job, and I only worked 32 hours a week. With help from Bridge of Hope staff and our mentors we looked for an apartment but there just wasn’t anything available to meet our needs. This took so many months that we were beginning to think it would never happen.
Finally a semi became available right up the street from where we were living. We looked into it, applied, and were accepted. Barb [Bridge of Hope staff] and our mentors helped with painting, cleaning and other repairs. We were able to move in at the beginning of June.
At first I was apprehensive about jumping out into the world of renting because my job did not provide enough income. I took CNA courses at Reading Area Community College and obtained my certification. My new job gives me more time with my boys and the income meets my needs. While I sit here in my own chair at my own computer, I can hardly believe I made it to this point.
Without Bridge of Hope none of this would have been possible. My boys and I are deeply grateful for what Bridge of Hope and all our mentors have done and are doing for us. This definitely is a ministry the Lord is using and because of it we now have a place to call home.
by Sheri*adapted from a Bridge of Hope Berks County (PA) newsletter
- Jun 01, 2017 — Auction items for Gala Luncheon…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Nayr shares her story about how her Neighboring Volunteers helped her to trust.…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Your Gift Helps End Family Homelessness…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Join us in thanking 2017 Gala sponsors…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Sarah’s Story…Read More
- May 01, 2017 — Maternity Home Forging a Bridge of Hope for Single Moms…Read More
- Aug 01, 2016 — Join Us in thanking Golf Classic Sponsors!…Read More