Week of Prayer – November 17, 2016
“Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.” 1 John 3:18
Our scripture from I John 3 contains a simple but revolutionary idea. Love is nothing if it is only words. How much of the energy of our society goes into analysis and statistics about the homeless that get into the press and books and articles, but make little difference in terms of families who have no certain place to call home? Well intentioned people, finely crafted speeches, and inspiring stories do not alone bring about change.
I John 3:18 pointedly combines “truth and action.” From my experience, Bridge of Hope offers a beautiful example of truth and action coming together in a carefully designed plan for moving the homeless from vulnerability to a long-term residence and a job to sustain this new lifestyle. Bridge of Hope’s statistics report the plan is effective for long-term change. And surely love and compassion are the key motivations behind this approach to homelessness.
Loving God, in this Homelessness Awareness Week, may followers of Jesus everywhere put love into action through focused friendships that lead to ending homelessness for more and more families. Amen.
Rev. Jim Lapp
Jim (in the right in the photo below) is the past board chair of Bridge of Hope National. Jim and his wife, Mim, are ministers with the Mennonite Church USA. Jim is shown here with Edith Yoder, Executive Director of Bridge of Hope National, and with 2 other past board chairs (Edgar Stoesz and Dorothy Pulcher) at our Leaders of Hope gathering.
Watch video: Juggling On Her Own
- Jun 01, 2017 — Auction items for Gala Luncheon…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Nayr shares her story about how her Neighboring Volunteers helped her to trust.…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Your Gift Helps End Family Homelessness…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Join us in thanking 2017 Gala sponsors…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Sarah’s Story…Read More
- May 01, 2017 — Maternity Home Forging a Bridge of Hope for Single Moms…Read More
- Aug 01, 2016 — Join Us in thanking Golf Classic Sponsors!…Read More