Week of Prayer – November 16, 2016
“But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay.” Psalm 40:17
If you live long enough, you will get knocked down by a difficult life experience. Psalm 40 is an invitation to find our help for every need in God. Psalm 40:17 is at the conclusion of a section in which the writer, having experienced God’s help in the past, expresses an anticipation of God’s help in the future when he finds himself, once again, in the muck of life. With that confident trust in Verse 17, the writer openly and with great vulnerability acknowledges his neediness.
There is an approach to God in which a person believes they need to do something good to get a blessing from God. The “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch my back” mentality. Not only does this approach block our experience of God’s grace, it hinders our ability to be Jesus’ hands to serve those in need around us unconditionally.
What we see in this verse is someone who knows God as the one who, through the disclosure of His grace, comes alongside to help. When we see our neediness and own it before God, humility takes root in our hearts and we are free to serve others unconditionally.
Forgive the swiftness, O Lord Jesus, at which we travel away from You and toward self-sufficiency to barter with you to get a blessing.
Rev. John D. Hostetter
John is the senior pastor at Lampeter Church in the Brethren in PA. He and his wife, Beth, have 6 children. Their daughter, Bekah Bowland, is the Program Consultation Specialist with Bridge of Hope National.
Watch video: It’s All About Empowering
- Jun 01, 2017 — Auction items for Gala Luncheon…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Nayr shares her story about how her Neighboring Volunteers helped her to trust.…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Your Gift Helps End Family Homelessness…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Join us in thanking 2017 Gala sponsors…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Sarah’s Story…Read More
- May 01, 2017 — Maternity Home Forging a Bridge of Hope for Single Moms…Read More
- Aug 01, 2016 — Join Us in thanking Golf Classic Sponsors!…Read More