Week of Prayer – November 14, 2016
“Religion which is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit the orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” James 1:27 ESV
My husband and I have two friends that just lost their husbands, and we are watching both go through the grieving process. Both widows love the Lord, but their journeys are very different, and each of these women needs help. Many of the jobs their husbands did need the helping hand of a man and the friendship of a woman to listen.
We need to pay attention to those around us and ask the Lord how he can use us to help them. It may be hanging pictures or winterizing the outside water spigots, doing electrical work, etc. Their workload has just increased and loneliness can be unbearable.
James understood the problem. He asked the Church or the body of Christ to meet that need, as well as the needs of orphans. Look around for what the Lord is asking you to do. Pray, but you also need to put your prayers into action. “So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” James 2:17 ESV
God, we pray that Bridge of Hope mentoring friends & their churches are transformed as they build relationships with women and children facing homelessness and offer practical support.
Carol Anne Doering
Carol Anne is an elder at Parker Ford Church in PA. She and her husband, Jay, are both ordained ministers. They support Bridge of Hope National and their local Bridge of Hope affiliate.
Watch video: Mentoring Friendships That Heal
- Jun 01, 2017 — Auction items for Gala Luncheon…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Nayr shares her story about how her Neighboring Volunteers helped her to trust.…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Your Gift Helps End Family Homelessness…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Join us in thanking 2017 Gala sponsors…Read More
- Jun 01, 2017 — Sarah’s Story…Read More
- May 01, 2017 — Maternity Home Forging a Bridge of Hope for Single Moms…Read More
- Aug 01, 2016 — Join Us in thanking Golf Classic Sponsors!…Read More